Important Information and Camp Rules
- Office Hours: 7am-4pm
- Arrival and departure 7-10am
- Please bring torches or other lanterns in the event of load shedding/power failures.
- Soaps and shampoos are not supplied.
- Rooms are serviced daily. Sundays and public holidays staff only work until 10:00.
- Children under 12 pay 50%.
- Children under 3 stay free.
- All accommodation is self-catering. However, catering for 4 or more can be arranged on request. (Breakfast R130, Dinner R250)
- All accommodation is serviced daily.
- Nkonkoni has two hides from which to observe the comings and goings of the wildlife at our water pan.
- This area is also a bird-watchers haven boasting over 400 species of birds, including less common species like the Heuglins Robin, Pink Backed Pelican and Osprey.
- We launch from a slipway approximately 5kms from the camp.
- Wood, ice, bait and some basic supplies are sold from the camp office.
- Gate hours are 6am – 6pm as you are entering the Pongola Game Reserve.
- Boma’s and communal boma’s are available for guests.
- Lost keys result in R500 fine
Camp Chalets Rates:
R 500 per person per night sharing
R 750 per person per night single
Nkonkoni Fishing Camp Chalets
Each Chalet sleeps 4 people on 4 x single beds (2 are positioned together but can be separated) Chalet 1 sleeps 5 people and has 2 bedrooms. All are air-conditioned and equipped with:
– mini-stove, oven & microwave
– bath towels
– a private outdoor shower
– a bathroom with either a Victorian or spa bath
– a separate toilet
– a private boma with braai facilities
– use of a central boma with DSTV, fire pit and additional cooking facilities
– use of a communal splash pool
Safari Tents Rates:
R 300 per tent per night plus R230 per person per night
R5100 to book the whole tented camp = 21 beds
Nkonkoni Fishing Camp Safari Tents
- Each Safari Tent sleeps 7 people on 6 x bunk beds and 1 x single bed
and is equipped with :– fans
– bath towels
– its own bathroom facilities (outdoor shower only, no bath) and toilet
– private boma for cooking with 2-plate gas cooker and braai facilities
– use of a central boma with DSTV, viewing deck, fire pit and additional cooking facilities
– use of a communal splash pool.
Entire Camp = Tents & Chalets (42 beds)
Book the Entire Camp Rates:
R14 500 per night
- Gate hours are strictly 06h00-18h00 as you are entering the Game Reserve.
- Special requests for late entries/exit can be made prior to your visit.
- If permission has been obtained for entry outside of gate hours, a charge of R250 per vehicle is levied.
- Indemnity form to be signed at the gate on arrival.
- Gate keys may be given to Nkonkoni guests to enter/exit the reserve outside of gate hours. A R500 refundable deposit is required.
Arrival and Departure
- Office Hours 07h00 – 16h00
- Check-in time is from 07h00 on day of arrival and check out time is by latest 10h00 on day of departure.
- Late departures after 10:00 will be charged 50 % of your daily rate.
- If you wish to go fishing or have an activity on your day of departure, please settle your account before you go, as the office closes at 12h00 on Saturdays and 10h00 on Sundays.
- No day visitors are permitted.
- There are two hides from which to view animals at our water pan. One is accessible from in front of chalet 4/5 and the other from close to the tented camp.
- Self-game-drives may be conducted on our property only during daylight hours.
- If it has been raining please stick to the main roads only.
- Vehicles MAY NOT leave the roads. Any one requiring recovery of their vehicles that have driven off road will be charged a minimum of R500.
- May not drive anywhere north or our slipway road.
- The speed limit is 40km/h.
- No hunting is permitted.
- Elephants can be seen on the north-eastern shores
- Likely to see: warthog, nyala, zebra, wildebeest, kudu, impala and an occasional giraffe
- Please do not feed any wild animals. They may look tame but are not. Familiarisation of the game leads to their having to be destroyed.
- Please keep foodstuff securely packed away, as our monkeys and warthogs are very inventive in their thieving tactics! Food cages are provided.
- Please do not remove anything at all from the campgrounds or surrounding bush. Collecting of firewood is NOT permitted and will incur a fine of R500.
- Kindly do not deposit in toilets any cigarette butts, cotton waste or detergents that might block or harm the operation of this system.
- Please do not tip staff individually as we have a shared tip system. Tips may be placed into the staff tip box at the office.
- Due to the low water levels we are currently making use of Fish Eagle Campsite for launching.
- Fishing is only permitted from the shore at the Pumpstation.
- Please do not park vehicles & trailers on the slipway.
- No-one is allowed on the water if intoxicated.
- All boats must be off the water by 18h00 or sundown, whichever comes first.
- Beware of hippos and crocodiles.
- Please do not remove any nets found in the dam. Report this to the office.
- Tiger Fish is a protected species and can only be caught as a catch and release.
- The electric fence is to be kept closed at all times and no walking beyond this fence.
- Guests must not drive outside of the electric fence after dark.
- Please be aware that we have large game on the reserve so kindly exercise caution.
- There is DSTV in both our Chalet and Tent communal bomas.
- Please do not drive on the grass and only park in the designated parking areas.
- Please do not litter.
- Wood, ice and some bait and basic essentials are sold from the Camp Office during office hours only.
- Gate Fees : Normal Hours 06h00-18h00 | R 20,00
- Gate Fees : After Hours | R 50,00
- Braai Wood – per bag | R 20,00
- Boma Logs – per load of approx 33 logs | R 100.00
- Ice: R 15,00
- Bait : Sardines R 45,00
- Bait : Chicken Livers R 20,00
- Bait : Chicken Hearts R 20,00
Costs will be added to your Camp Sundries invoice, to be settled before departure.
Catering can be arranged for a minimum of 4 guests
- Brunch/Breakfast / packed lunches: R 130.00
- Dinner: R 250.00
- Tea/Coffee Rusks, muffins: R 50,00
- Nkonkoni is situated in a low risk malaria area.
- Bring mozzie spray
- All possessions are on our property solely at your own risk. Kindly ensure that any valuables/cash are kept safe.
- Safes are provided in the chalets as well as in tent 8. Please request keys from Camp Manager.
If our camp rules are not complied with, we reserve the right to take the appropriate/necessary action.
Good things come to those who bait
Nkonkoni Fishing Camp is waiting for you…
More Important Info
Monday to Friday 7am – 4pm
Saturday 7am – 12pm
Sunday& Public Holidays 7am – 10am
Camp Manager Lee 082 552 2202 –
Manager Manuel 082 773 3600
Emergency Contact Numbers
Pongola Hospital – 034 413 1372 / 1276 | 82 Hans Dons Street, Pongola
Dr Leon Van Aardt – 034 413 1382 (also experienced in dealing with snake bites)
Bethesda Hospital – 035 595 1004
Government Hosp – N2 to Mkuze, left at T-junction, 3 km to Umbombo, turn right and travel 18 km (road fairly steep and potholed)
The Bay Hospital – 035 780 6111 | Kruger Rand Road, Richards Bay, Approx 150 kms
Dr Sutherland – 035 573 1016 | Consulting rooms in Mkuze
Pongola Police – 034 413 9110
Ambulance – 10177
Hospital – 034 413 1372
Fire Dept – 034 413 1223
Traffic dept – 034 413 1223